Wheatgrass extract can accelerate the healing process of many conditions by:
1. Anti-inflammatory effect: Reduces redness, swelling and pain. e.g. burns, diabetic and venous ulcers.
2. Hemostasis: Stops capillary bleeding, accelerates blood clotting (hemostasis) and absorbs blood clot.
3. Wound re-surfacing: Accelerates re-epithelialisation (skin surface recovery) and mucus membranes. e.g. anal fissure, burns, oral wounds, abscesses etc.
4. Inducing elasticity of skin & connective tissue: Often, within 10-15 minutes of application, softening of stiff, arthritic joints leads to increased movement and often pain reduction. It can even relax burns contractures.
1. Accelerated rates of wound healing for lacerations, superficial and deep burns. Also, for varicose and arterial ulcers and diabetic foot ulcers when the extract should only be applied monthly. Disappearance of bacterial infection during treatment suggests return of normal blood and lymphatic circulation to the area.
A thin membranous re-epithelialisation forms over open wounds and burns, usually within 24 hours of application of the extract. This aids prevention of wound infection.
Chronic leg ulcers that consistently returned positive swabs for bacteria, reverted to normal following application of wheatgrass extract.
2. Some viral infections can be strongly suppressed by the wheatgrass extract. e.g. in the early stages of herpes zoster and primary herpes simplex. Molluscum contagiosum usually resolves in 4 to 10 weeks. In infectious mononucleosis many patients have recovered completely within 2 or 3 days of treatment, providing it is at the early stage. Bacteriostatic and mycostatic (fungal) effects also suggest an immune response.
3. Solar keratoses and basal cell carcinomas often gradually recede and disappear over several weeks with regular application.
4. Acutely inflamed osteoarthritic joints sometimes revert to a quiescent state soon (approx. 30 minutes) after application of the extract. Chronically inflamed joints can also respond favourably, relaxation of joint stiffness being a major feature.
5. In Raynaud's Disease, rapid vasodilatation can occur in both hands following application of the extract to one hand suggesting involvement of the central nervous system. Vasoconstriction can occur when applied to chilblains.
6. Some patients with chronic fatigue due to multiple sclerosis, post-viremic syndromes, HIV/AIDS etc. demonstrated remarkable improvement in fatigue within one or two weeks taking wheatgrass extract. In a small private study, a number of HIV/AIDS sufferers demonstrated increased T4 cell counts.
7. There is sometimes a reduction in raised blood glucose in sufferers of diabetes mellitus.
(? glibenclamide binding effect - a ligand that exists in wheatgrass extract).
8. Veterinary surgeons and trainers have reported rapid clinical improvement in horses suffering from nodular pharyngeal hyperplasia. Dogs with “kennel cough”, an upper respiratory tract infection also responded quickly to wheatgrass extract.
9. Hardened, keratinised skin frequently softens soon after application of the extract, suggesting restoration of damaged sensory neural connection with the central nervous system. For instance, the birth mark in this photograph has almost disappeared after one application of wheatgrass extract.
An interesting testimonial
Some other healing observations following wheatgrass application suggesting central nervous system involvement:
1. Hemostasis (stops bleeding) and fibrinolysis (prevents blood clots that occur naturally from growing and causing problems) occur in the same wound simultaneously.
2. Alopecia areata – hair growth recovery in alopecia patients. (View cases)
3. Burns contractures – softens scars, relaxes contractures. (View case)
4. Molluscum contagiosum – eliminates the molluscum virus. (View cases)
5. Psoriasis - systemic reduction in pruritis (itch) - even if only applied to one affected area of skin. Reduction in plaque thickness and scale with tendency towards recovery. (View cases, testimonials)
8. Wheatgrass extract is often effective for the relief of temporo-mandibulitis, plantar fasciitis and epicondylitis.
>> Return to Cases & Conditions
Read how wheatgrass probably heals so well.