In 1985, I began recording clinical observations of wheatgrass extract healing cases because it clearly aided a number of healing effects:
1. Anti-inflammation – rapidly reduces swelling, pain and inflammation. e.g. burns, soft tissue injuries.
2. Hemostasis – stops capillary bleeding, accelerates blood clotting (hemostasis) and blood clot removal.
3. Wound healing – stimulates re-epithelialisation (surface recovery) of skin and mucus membranes. e.g. anal fissure, burns, wounds, abscesses etc.
4. Skin & connective tissue softening – this can occur occasionally within 10-15 minutes of application e.g. stiff, arthritic joints, burns contractures.
1. Remarkably rapid rates of wound healing are frequently observed in lacerations, superficial and deep burns, and to a lesser extent in varicose and arterial ulcers and diabetic foot ulcers. The absence of bacterial infection during treatment suggests T4-cell stimulation. A thin membranous re-epithelialisation forms over open wounds and burns within 24 hours of application of the extract. This appears to be important in excluding infection. Several cases of chronic leg ulcers, always returning positive swabs for bacteria, reverted to the negative state following application of the extract. This phenomenon is supported by clinical observation.
2. Some viral infections can be strongly suppressed by the wheatgrass extract. e.g. in the early stages of herpes zoster and primary herpes simplex. Molluscum contagiosum can resolve in a few weeks. In infectious mononucleosis I have observed numerous patients recover completely within 2 or 3 days of commencement of treatment, providing this happens early in the disease. Bacteriostatic and mycostatic effects also suggest immune stimulation.
3. Solar keratoses and basal cell carcinomas tend to gradually recede and disappear over several weeks or months with regular application suggesting tumour necrosis factor activity.
4. Some acutely inflamed osteoarthritic joints have been observed to revert to a quiescent state a short time (approx. 30 minutes) after application of the extract. Chronically inflamed joints can also respond favourably, the relaxation of joint stiffness being a major feature.
5. In Raynaud’s Disease, rapid vasodilatation can occur in both hands following application of the extract to one hand. By comparison, vasoconstriction can occur when applied to chilblains. This may support the concept of Raynaud’s as an immunological rather than a sympathetically mediated disorder. It may also explain the often short-lived effects of sympathectomy.
6. A number of patients with chronic fatigue due to multiple sclerosis, post-viremic syndromes, HIV/AIDS etc. showed remarkable improvement in fatigue within one or two weeks of commencement of oral ingestion of wheatgrass extract. In a small private study, a number of HIV/AIDS sufferers demonstrated increased T4 cell counts.
5. A tendency towards homeostasis in sufferers of diabetes mellitus, (? glibenclamide binding) and glaucoma has been observed.
6. Equine veterinary surgeons and trainers report rapid clinical improvement in horses suffering from nodular pharyngeal hyperplasia. Dogs with “kennel cough”, an upper respiratory tract infection, reportedly responded quickly to treatment.
7. Hardened, keratinised skin frequently softens soon after application of the extract.
Some Other Unexplained Phenomena Following Wheatgrass Application
1. Hemostasis and fibrinolysis occur in the same wound simultaneously.
2. Alopecia areata – some recoveries commencing in 6 to 8 weeks. (View cases)
3. Burn contractures – softens scar, relaxes contracture. (View case)
4. Molluscum contagiosum – usually works very well. ?anti-viral effect. (View cases)
5. Ganglia – can occasionally disappear completely – sometimes in a few days.
6. Trigger finger – can be released in a few days.
7. Psoriasis – systemic reduction in pruritis – even if only applied to one affected area of skin. Reduction in plaque thickness and scale with tendency towards recovery. (View cases, testimonials)
8. Wheatgrass extract is often effective for the relief of temporo-mandibulitis, plantar fasciitis and epicondylitis.
Dr. Chris Reynolds